Physical activity has many health benefits. Regular physical activity, especially in aging adults, has been shown to:
- increase muscle strength, flexibility, balance and coordination
- reduce the risk of premature death
- reduce the risk of falls
- assist in prevention and management of health conditions like stroke, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, certain cancers, obesity and depression
- enhance sleep, wellbeing and quality of life
- increase social interaction
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Wear hats and sunscreen outdoors in the summer.
- Use safety equipment such as bike helmets.
- Choose safe environments such as well-lit streets, open parks and indoor facilities.
- Make sensible choices about when and where to be active and who to be active with.